musings of an ohioan who was supposed to be icelandic...

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Top Albums: Snowed In Edition


Due to the weather, I've decided to do another Top 5 post on music. This list consists of my 5 favorite record purchases this year. It's a bit more personal than the last, but I had fun deciding.


5. Serge Gainsbourg - Histoire de Melody Nelson (1971)



Get yourself into some Serge. It's pure sex.



4. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (1991)



Why did I wait so long to listen to this band? Why did I flip past this record for so many years? I suppose I thought they were super emo based on their name. Thank you for proving me wrong, Sir Alex.

**When I searched Youtube for this band I only got trailers for what looks like a terrible movie, but I thought that this was appropriate.



3. The Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band with Choir - "This Is Our Punk-Rock", Thee Rusted Satellites Gather + Sing (2003)



Such an incredible album from a phenomenal band. I may have not left my room and kept flipping the record at least 4 times one day. Wow.




2. Holy Fuck - LP (2007)



I think I actually said the band's name is response to hearing their music for the first time. Usually when I go record shopping I don't know what I'm going to pick up, but I actually went out with the intent of purchasing this one.




1. Alkaline Trio - Goddamnit 2007 Re-release (Originally released in 1998)



One of my favorite punk (you can argue whether this is "punk" or not somewhere else) albums of all time. Goddamnit was re-released for a very specific reason in that it really made us kids feel something. Something we understood and related to. It may sound lame, but it's so true! Brendan Kelly (from The Lawrence Arms wrote an amazing intro; here's part of it:

"You know that feeling of having wasted your life? I'm not talking about looking back to faded, half-remembered olden days from some wrinkly shell. I'm referring to waking up and thinking 'Woah, last night was a complete blur, I made a real dick of myself in front of that girl I can't stop thinking about and barfed in the sink at the bar. I'm wasting my life. What's wrong with me?' That's wasting your life. Little moments that swirl, fade and descend into obscurity, never to be retrieved."

I was feeling very nostalgic that day and this was the perfect thing to pick up.

2 comments:

shine said...

have you ever heard gainsbourg's recording from 1998, "classe x"? someone leant it to me..omg... i'll get you a copy.... gainsbourg is the ONLY reason I'm glad I took French instead of Spanish in school.

Unknown said...

I've always thought of you when
I hear "when you sleep" off of MBV's loveless. it also mostly reminds me of living in lakewood, but more specifically you. it was good talking to you today!

<3
xo
-f