musings of an ohioan who was supposed to be icelandic...

Friday, January 2, 2009

Top Albums of '08

Happy 2009, friends! It's been awhile since we (I) here at oh! how silly have written. Well, I wouldn't be quite cliche enough of a blogger if I didn't do the obligatory top albums of 2008 list, now would I? Here are my top 5:

5. Lykke Li - Youth Novel


I first heard Lykke Li when a friend sat me down and made me listen to her this summer. Upon hearing her voice I thought "Oh great, another indie Swede with a peculiar voice who's going to grace Pitchfork's Best New Music page" and dismissed her immediately. What a jerk, right? Later, when her songs would come on at random I found myself asking "who is this?" and really getting into the music. Her voice grew on me as well. This album is fantastic, and I now admit that I was wrong (except I was right about the Pitchfork thing). Lykke - 1, Sarah - 0.



4. Russian Circles - Station


When I saw Russian Circles open for fellow Chicago band Pelican, they blew my mind. Upon the release of their second album Station, they already had a following. Think post-rock meets metal and melody.



3. Black Mountain - In The Future


How does Canada produce these amazing bands and musicians? I'm going to guess something with the de-criminalization of ma... nevermind. I've heard Black Mountain's latest played often in between sets at Frankies Inner City and at tattoo shops just the same. Two vocalists (a girl & a guy) switch on and off for this AMAZING psychedelic rock band. Some ominous tracks, a couple super indie, and a lot of rocking out (to sound as Wayne Campbell as possible).



2. Foals - Antidotes


I don't know how to talk about this band. Dance-punk or math rock? Maybe. Catchy as hell? Yes. The guitar is super distinctive, the entire album is a cohesive working machine, and they make me want to dance. That's all I can think of and it probably doesn't make much sense. Do yourself a favor and just listen!!



1. Ratatat - LP3


One of my favorite bands since their self-titled 2004 debut. Most of you know this band already, and if you don't I'd recommend the entire discography. I've heard complaints, but LP3 did not let me down at all. Nice work, dudes.



**Honorable Mentions: Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours, Man Man - Rabbit Habits, The Mae Shi - HLLLYH

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Thank you Thank you Thank you for putting Black Mountain on your list. Now I think your top albums list is a lot more reputable then Pitchforks!
This album was pretty much constantly in my stereo. I've been a fan for a while, and of the pink mountaintops but In The Future was amazing. Eric and I saw them up in Detroit a few months ago and they sounded absolutely fantastic.