musings of an ohioan who was supposed to be icelandic...

Monday, October 20, 2008

My "should be studying for midterm" artist feature blog.


For my birthday, Nathan gave me a Lichtenstein print that always made me laugh and also a Pierre et Gilles 52 week planner. I was in desperate need of a planner and this one comes with over 50 of Pierre et Gilles works.

I want to call Pierre et Gilles a French-artist-gay-power-couple, only because I currently lack proper articulation. Pierre is a photographer and Gilles a painter, they began collaborating in 1976 in Paris producing "highly stylized" photographic images. Many of the pieces remind me of those little Catholic idol and Saint cards. I first learned of them while on CocoRosie's website and being obsessed with pseudo (and real) religious imagery I found them quite interesting.






Pierre et Gilles
if you can read French...

post script: I wish I had the energy to write in more detail [and like a true art historian], but frankly, I'm burnt out.

No comments: