musings of an ohioan who was supposed to be icelandic...

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Pet Peeve #15 -- Latte Art

Okay, after this post I will move away from beverage based pet peeves for a moment. While in Portland I learned that a girl I know had an interview at a neighborhood coffee shop. This girl has years of experience as a barista (as do I) and at the end of the interview the manager asked her "And can you do latte art?" and she said No. To this he replied something like "Wellllll we really need someone who can do that here, soooo..." ...yeah, you get the idea. My immediate response to this was obviously 'wtf is latte art?' and here it is folks:


Now, I'm not one to tell someone how to run a business, but whywhywhy is this necessary? You're just going to ruin it with the first drink. It wastes time and seems like, again, such a suburban mom/yuppie impresser. Who cares what's on the foam?! It's the caffeine (usually) that counts. To quote Tim Gunn, "I'm underwhelmed".

Disagree? Thoughts? Comments?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks pretty but i agree with you sis...waste of time!

Lisa said...

it's pretty...damn pointless.

Michele Martin said...

Actuallyyyyyyyyyyy......I'm pretty fantastically good at latte art as well as shamrock-in-your-guinness-art. You know, that's just me, a poor barista, trying to make a (i'm-a-pay $4 for-a-coffee) fool's day. I get off on that kinda stuff :)

Rob said...

Hahahahaha. I totally made a sarcastic comment to Corey at Grounds about how he didn't put a swirl on the top of my cappuccino. I love that you think it's annoying too! I just want the milk and coffee. Sans swirl.