musings of an ohioan who was supposed to be icelandic...

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Sharing my agony with you.

"I'm trying to manage two blogs at once here!! What do you want from me??"
-me, being a complete nerd yesterday when someone commented on my lack of updates.

Busy with school, here are a few things I've been devoting my time and energies to:

Modern Architecture: Le Maison de Verre, Paris - by Pierre Chareau.  Completed in 1932, it was originally a multi-functional structure (home and doctor's office) built for Dr. Jean Dalsace.  There are crazy movable parts, retractable (& hidden!) staircases, and spiraling entrance ways all within this house. The glass block facade lets light in, but still provides privacy.  Innovative for the time.





Art of China & Japan: The Edo period, the "floating world culture", & Ukiyo-e motifs within the Japanese tattoo with emphasis on how it's become popular in Western culture.  Especially certain sub-cultures.  Then tattoos have so much significance and meaning to the Japanese, then & now.  I have to wonder if some of these people in our "Western society" that are getting these images tattooed  read up on it beforehand.



Probably most recognized, this is Hokusai's In the Hollow of a Wave of the Coast at Kanagawa


And just for fun...



Biology (yes I'm actually in a bio class): Overpopulation.  Need I say more?




Coming soon, a dual movie/book review.

No comments: